Wednesday, April 3, 2013

A Favorite from last year's guided turkey hunts.

Originally Posted by OneShot
As one of Doug's clients who did not take a bird last year, I can attest to Doug's ability and effort to make it a great hunt. Doug also made it a fun time for my son Ryan, at the time 6 years old. We even baited some turkeys with left over candy bars. To this day, we still talk about it. "Baiting was done after the hunt was over and the place was not hunted for the next couple of days.  "


This was one of my all time favorite hunts. Dad brought his son and his objective that day was not to kill a turkey but get Ryan out to experience the turkey woods. That objective was proved as we actually walked away from a gobbling bird as Ryan had had enough of "sitting still". As I made the hunt more of a wildlife/nature walk Ryan was getting "antsy" but still wanted to hunt. We set up on the corner of a food plot where I had been seeing a lot of birds. Ryan, sitting right next to me, leaned over and asked me if gobblers liked Kit Kats. I told him that I really didn't know so I suggested he run over to the edge of the foodplot and put a few out ... which he quickly did. He came back with a big smile on his face and the expectation that a gobbler could come right over and "chow down" , right in front of us,on those Kit Kats. I gave him my box call and suggested he call to see if any would come over to the Kit Kats. None did yet he saw a gobbler in the next food plot we went to. I told him I would check the next couple of days to see if any turkeys ate the Kit Kats. ----- This was truly one of the hilights of my 49 years of chasing gobblers. Thanks Ryan.

Afterthought: I wonder if longbeards do like Kit Kats LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment