Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Gun Season Hunts in Maryland

Well, I started gun season on Sunday evening in Somerset County. The weather was cold and the regulars (5 of us) were hunting. I scouted around a little and taking the wind into consideration I decided to do a first evening ever in a stand I put up last year in January. A camera was on the finger of land closer to the bedding area island. It was a good evening to be out but I never saw any deer until reaching the food plot with very poor light. No one else saw a thing.

The next morning was cold and found me in a stand on the neighboring property. I saw movement to my left but it was small 6 pointer which turned to walk up right past me. I earped him he stopped at about 12 yards getting his picture taken, ran a few steps then looked back one more time. I saw a button and that was it for all of us...they just weren't moving. That evening I took a stand off the road. A couple back in the thick caught my wind but I never sighted a deer. The owner took the stand I was in that morning and saw two but no shots.

The last morning brought a big chahge to a warm 51 this morning.  I elected to walk and scout out some edges along a bedding area. I carried my Winchester 30-30 cal. I jumped a couple out of their beds. I located a good stand tree overlooking the edge and will put it up soon for some late season action hopefully. One of the guys saw a nice 2 1/2 year old 6 pointer that he passed on. He saw 3 other 6 monthers which he passed on. The owner saw a small buck and a fawn.

I came home that afternoon . The three that stayed did not see any deer in the pm. We are supposed to get a cold front Wednesday night. Good for that. The pics show the view from a spot I hunted and  what one of the big boys made.


No comments:

Post a Comment