Thursday, May 3, 2012

My First Day

My 49th Spring opener in Maryland was pure excitement to say the least. The experience would have provided some incredible video...my only regret. The darkness turned into first light with very little gobbling; not usual for this farm. I elected to go to a bird which had the most mature gobble. Unfortunately that gobble was drowned out by way too many hens after hitting the ground. I marked the spot for a later visit and moved towards the area where the other gobbles occurred. It proved to be a good move.
I floated a few notes out on the trumpet and it elicited responses from toms in two different spots; a grassy road through mature hardwoods and an adjacent three year clearcut. I quickly set up at the end of the road giving me a 150 yard view. My 10x42s showed two blood red heads at the far end of the road. Switching to my favorite slate over glass pot, I sent out some clucks and some yelping. A hen materialized from the clearcut to my left and walked to within 6 yards; searching for me. Not finding the hen she walked past me clucking. Another hen followed her to me yelping like crazy which elicited gobbles; the two at the end were closing the distance. She walked behind me yelping loudly. Now gobblers, five longbeards, from the cut walked up onto the road between me and the closing two gobblers ... wait now four. Wow - the binocs showed 9 longbeards, some in strut, closing on yet another noisy hen not 25 yards from me. Nine longbeards gobbling in concert is music I can stand listening to anytime.
My quest now was trying to pick out the dominant gobbler and making sure that his head was the only one collecting the Hevi 13 payload when they got to me. Gun was up: the strutters were closing ... 40 yards, my heart pounding, 30 yards, his head cleared the others and at about 20 yards I pulled the trigger. In a split second the unbelievable scene turned into deafening silence and calm except for the death wing beats of the boss strutter. Once again the weight over my shoulder felt good as I walked towards the truck ... another incredible morning in the turkey woods. I've cherished every one of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment