Friday, May 11, 2012

Recent Longbeard Hunt

The following was written by an acquaintance and client, Joe, about a hunt that occurred yesterday. We surely had a load of fun and experienced the "sizzle" of longbeard hunting.

 Doug is The Man ! I jumped at the chance when Doug Wigfield made the offer a few weeks ago, and I'm glad I did

I didn't even take my bow with me. I'd had only hunted turkey once before, so I figured I'd up my odds for #1 with the shotgun. So, the plan was to Run 'n Gun all day.

The turkeys were pretty vocal at daybreak and Doug moved us into a block of woods where we know we listened to 8-10 different gobblers. At one point we just knew one was coming in, and I held that gun up for a looong time. My shoulder was burning, my hand fell asleep, but I couldn't move because 2 hens moved in to the treetops right above us. Then a hawk swooped on those hens and broke that game up. We shifted slightly 3-4 times in that same area to set up for other birds gobbling, but nothing ever came of that.

We worked through that block of woods and were coming to a firetrail on the opposite side when one gobbled CLOSE. We backed off and set up, then Doug worked his magic on the slate call, and kicking his feet in the ground litter to make noise. It kept gobbling, I saw it coming, and it poked his head up between 2 small pine trees. Man, the shot felt good and the turkey dropped in his tracks. 10.5" beard, 1.25" spurs... High fives all around.

Thanks Doug ! Needless to say, I had a great time today (except for that brutal drive back home half asleep) I can't wait to do it again...


Attached Images:
Click image for larger version - Name: 100_1857a.jpg, Views: 69, Size: 280.33 KB Click image for larger version - Name: 100_1858a.jpg, Views: 58, Size: 283.64 KB

No comments:

Post a Comment