Sunday, October 17, 2010

First Day Duck Season

Saturday a.m. found me hanging on over looking a typical but most beautiful piece of sika habitat. The duck hunters were out in force and what a day they had...windy, clear. It sounded like a first day dove shoot. I hoped this deer hunting disturbance would have sikas crawling all over me. Oh contrare...no bugling and only caught glimpses of 3 hinds and a spike out in the marsh. 1 presented a shot but I was waiting for a stag.

With extreme high winds and duck hunters out I elected to move off the marsh edge into a more upland situation with a food plot as a draw...sika tracks all over it ...mostly after dark. Well, that food plot was only frequented by a few whitetails and a couple of groundhogs. A very nice whitetail buck came in and presented the shot but it was his lucky day...another year or two should make a lot of difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment