Sunday, October 31, 2010

Continued Stag Hunting

a.m. - elected to go in and take a stand overlooking a marsh. I had heard 4 bugling stags from that position the evening before. I got in early and super quiet and was rewarded with hearing some growling close by...the only trouble is that they were already by me heading for where they normally bed. I had to hope some calling would bring a stag to investigate or a hounded hind in estrus would drag one by. Neither brought in one for a shot. I saw one stag.

p.m. - same stand as above knowing that stags were in that area but would they be cruising all day??? A favorable wind turned more from the south and blew a good 20+ mph. - disaster as the wind was blowing my scent to the wrong area. I got the heck out with never seeing a deer. I did however see one of the most gorgeous sunsets I have ever seen.

I want to concentrate on whitetails but oh those sikas............

I need to get my grandson, Joshua, out to the range to sight in the 7mm-08 for the youth deer hunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment